Serves 8 as a side dish
- 4 thick slices of bacon (4 ounces)
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 bell peppers (red, yellow, orange or mixed), diced
- 6 -7 medium ears of corn, kernels removed
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro or cilantro microgreens
- Cilantro microgreens for garnish
- Salt and crushed red pepper to taste
In a large frying pan, cook the bacon over medium-low heat until crisp, about 5 to 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to paper towels and let drain. Break up or chop into crumbled pieces.
Pour off most of the bacon fat from the skillet, leaving a few tablespoons for frying. Add the diced potatoes and cook over medium heat until they start to brown, about about 3 to 6 minutes. Stir and cook for about 2 minutes longer, until almost tender; they’ll finish cooking with the other vegetables. Add the diced peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes and peppers are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the corn kernels and cook, stirring, until heated through but still crisp, about 3 minutes.
Transfer the vegetables to a large bowl and stir in the onion, cider vinegar, bacon and chopped cilantro. Season with pepper and salt to taste and garnish generously with cilantro microgreens. Serve warm, or at room temperature.
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen: www.smittenkitchen.com/2015/08/corn-chowder-salad/