Recipe by Chef Jonathan Bardzik
Pumpkin + Base Ingredients
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 3 tablespoons of dark miso paste (red or brown)
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 1 small pumpkin (or squash) like a Kabocha, Butterkin, or Black Futsu
- Salad base of your choosing (lettuce, arugula, or shoots of any kind!)
- ¼ cup of tahini
- 1 cup of mustard microgreens, loosely packed
- 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar
- ¼-½ cup of warm water
- Preheat oven to 400° F
- Roast pumpkin: Cut squash in half and remove seeds. Cut into 1/2” thick slices and place in a large bowl. Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in miso paste and maple syrup. Season with a pinch of salt, pour over pumpkin and toss together to coat. Place on a parchment or foil – lined half sheet pan and roast until fork tender, turning once at around 15 minutes. Depending on your squash it may take 25-35 minutes to cook.
- Make sauce: Place tahini, mustard greens and vinegar in a food processor. Pulse to purée. Scrape down sides and bottom, add 1/4 cup water and purée again. Add additional water as needed to get a thick, pourable sauce. Season to taste with salt.
- Serve roasted pumpkin with mustard microgreen sauce over your salad base.
- TIP: These small squashes have thin skins and do not need to be peeled. Huzzah!!
- TIP: Save the seeds. Soak and then remove any strings of pumpkin. Pat dry, toss in a little oil and roast at 350° F until golden brown. Use to top this dish or for a salad or other roasted vegetables