Serves 6 // Recipe by Chef Jonathan Bardzik
The mayo-free-yet-still-rich cabbage slaw you’ve been waiting for! Blue cheese and candied walnuts add richness while tons of greens and a sweet-tart vinaigrette add balance and complexity. Hearty enough for a light meal and the perfect side for meats off the grill.
- 6 cups shredded red cabbage, about 1 medium head
- 2 cups lettuce and radish salad blend
- 1 cup parsley and broccoli micros
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese, about 4 oz
- 1/2 cup chopped candied walnuts
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbs honey
- 1/2 cup olive oil–the good stuff!
Make vinaigrette: Sprinkle garlic with a couple pinches of coarse salt. Mash into a paste with the flat edge of a chef’s knife. Add to a medium bowl and whisk together with vinegar, mustard and honey. Season with pepper and let rest for 20 minutes while flavors combine. Drizzle in oil, while whisking, to form a creamy emulsion.
Assemble salad: Mix together cabbage, salad blend, micros, blue cheese and walnuts. Dress lightly with vinaigrette and season with additional salt if needed.