Recipe by Chef Jonathan Bardzik
This hearty fall dish can be a side, starter or one-plate lunch. Tomato sauce brightens the fresh and earthy flavors of cauliflower, amaranth and broccoli while quinoa brings flavor and plant-based protein.
- 4 tbs olive oil
- 1 cup black or red quinoa (white works too!)
- 1 cup broccoli microgreens
- 1 medium head cauliflower cut into florets
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup amaranth microgreens
- Cook quinoa: Warm 2 tbs olive oil over med heat in a 2 quart saucepan. Add quinoa and toast, stirring occasionally for 2-3 min. Add 1 ½ cup water. Partially cover, raise heat to high and bring water to a boil. Reduce heat to low and fully cover. Cook until all water is evaporated. Remove from heat, toss with a fork and let rest, covered for 15 min.Season with a pinch of salt and toss through broccoli microgreens.
- Cook Cauliflower: While quinoa cooks, place cauliflower in a steamer insert set over water in a large saucepan. Cook over high heat until cauliflower is crisp tender. Remove from heat and leave covered until tender. Drain water and toss cauliflower with a pinch of salt and remaining 2 tbs olive oil.
- While cauliflower cooks, warm tomato sauce over medium heat.
- Plate dish: Divide quinoa and broccoli micro mixture evenly and place on one side of each plate. Divide tomato sauce evenly and place on other side of each plate. Top with cauliflower and sprinkle with amaranth microgreens.
- TIP: I know your bag of quinoa says one part quinoa to two parts water. It is wrong. You will end up with wet not loose and fluffy quinoa.