Amaranth Shrub Ingredients:
3-4 limes (we will use the zest here and the juice we will save for our cocktail)
1 cup of granulated sugar
1 cup of water
2-3 tbsp. of Amaranth microgreens
½ cup of apple cider or champagne vinegar
(optional) 1/2 small serrano chili–seeds removed
2 ounces bourbon whiskey
¾ oz ounce freshly squeezed lemon and/or lime juice
¼ oz amaranth shrub
1 egg white from a small to medium egg or 1 oz aquafaba (vegan version)
Amaranth microgreens for garnish
1) Add zest of limes, amaranth, chopped serrano if using, and sugar to a sealable bag or container and let sit overnight so all the oils release into the sugar (this is called an oleo-saccharum).
2) The next day, add 1 cup of warm water into your bag until all the sugar dissolves and then strain out your solids. Mix in your vinegar and refrigerate for another day in a jar before use (if you want a stronger amaranth flavor, add in a few more micros while the mixture is chilling in the fridge).
3) Build your cocktail. Place the egg white, bourbon, lemon and/or lime juice, shrub, and egg white or aquafaba in a cocktail shaker. Do not add ice yet.
4) Seal the shaker and shake vigorously for at least 10 seconds. (This is referred to as a “dry shake.” It’s good for incorporating the egg white before adding ice to the shaker.)
5) Add ice, seal again, and shake for 7 to 10 seconds more to chill.
6) Strain into a coupe glass and garnish with a few amaranth microgreens.